At McCoy Memorial Baptist Church
Community members from South Los Angeles and clergy leaders from throughout Southern California will come together on Monday, Dec. 11, at McCoy Memorial Baptist Church, 802 E. 46th St., to host "Prayers for the Ninth," an evening dedicated to supporting the District 9 community and showing solidarity for LA City Councilmember Curren Price. A candlelight vigil will take place at 5:30 p.m. The program will begin at 6 p.m.
This event, which will include a candlelight vigil and the participation of more than a dozen clergy members, is being organized in response to charges brought against Price by the District Attorney’s Office earlier this year. Despite the allegations, the Councilman has consistently proclaimed his innocence and strongly refutes any wrongdoing, describing the charges as “unwarranted.”
"Prayers for the Ninth" – held ahead of Price’s upcoming court appearance on Friday, Dec. 15 – will feature prayers, songs, and messages of hope from community and religious leaders.
Those expected to be in attendance include:
- Pastor Shep Crawford, the EXPERIENCE CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES (ECM)
- Pastor William Smart, President and CEO of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) of Southern California
- Pastor Dr. Joseph Benjamin Hardwick, Praises of Zion Missionary Baptist Church
- Pastor Javier Buelna, RTLA Church
- Pastor Cynthia Buelna, RTLA Church
- Pastor Sergio Juarez, Community of Christ Church
- And other interfaith leaders