U.S. Rep. John Conyers (Mich.-13) — beset with allegations of sexual harassment by former staff members — announced this week that he is retiring from the House of Representatives had has endorsed his son to replace him.
The 88-year-old Conyers made the announcement on Tuesday while speaking with Detroit radio talk show host Mildred Gaddis. He was not clear on when the retirement becomes effective.
“I’m in the process of putting my retirement plans together,” he said from a hospital. “I am retiring today (Nov. 5).”
Conyers endorsed his son, John Conyers III, to replace him, which could pit family member against family member.
Michigan state Sen. Ian Conyers, a grandson of Conyers’ brother, told The New York Times earlier Tuesday that he planned to run for the seat himself.
John Conyers, who was first elected in 1964, easily won re-election last year in the heavily Democratic 13th District. But following the mounting allegations of sexual harassment, he has faced growing calls to resign from colleagues in the House, including House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Conyers’ attorney, Arnold Reed, has said Conyers’ health would be the paramount consideration in whether he decides to step down from his House seat. He has already stepped aside from his position as ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
Conyers returned to Detroit from Washington last week and was hospitalized on Nov. 29 after complaining that he felt light-headed.
The House Ethics Committee is reviewing allegations of harassment against Conyers.