Skip to content

Man who led police on bizarre chase a month ago is now in custody


A man who led police on a bizarre televised car chase a month ago was in custody today following his arrest for allegedly trying to run over a man on the UCLA campus with his motorcycle after the

victim tried to take his picture in the aftermath of a traffic accident, authorities said.

Herschel Reynolds, 20, was arrested Saturday afternoon by UCLA police and  booked on suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon, according to the UCLA Police Department and the sheriff’s department. Reynolds was being held in lieu of $75,000 bail and was scheduled to appear today at the LAX courthouse, the sheriff’s department reported. The case has not yet been presented for prosecution, according to the District Attorney’s office. The incident occurred on April 16 at Strathmore Drive, near Young Drive, according to UCLA police. “The suspect’s motorcycle struck the rear bumper of the victim’s SUV,” a campus police statement said. ” When the victim tried to dial 911, the suspect … used his motorcycle to strike the victim in the lower body, spinning him and knocking him to the ground.”

Authorities circulated security video of the incident and sought public help to find the motorcyclist.

On April 7, Reynolds was involved in a bizarre slow-speed televised chase on freeways and surface streets. Reynolds, a former Marine Corps driver, and his 19-year-old passenger, Isaiah Young, are facing one count each of first-degree residential burglary and fleeing a pursuing peace officer’s vehicle while driving recklessly, both felonies. The suspects allegedly committed a burglary about 1:25 p.m. that day in Cerritos. A woman drove up to her home and found a car she didn’t recognize in the driveway. When she honked her horn, the car sped away. She found the back door of her home smashed and items missing. A neighbor gave deputies a description of two young men in a dark blue Ford Mustang, which was spotted by a sheriff’s aero unit heading from the westbound Artesia (91) Freeway to the northbound Long Beach (710) Freeway. During the chase that followed, the men put the Mustang’s convertible

top down, even though a steady rain was falling. The driver did “donuts” on Hollywood Boulevard, drove the wrong way on rain-slick streets and taunted pursuers. At one point, the Mustang was cut off by a TMZ tour bus in Hollywood and the passenger threw something at the bus. Even when the front right tire of the Mustang was shredded, possibly from a spike strip, the driver kept going. During the pursuit, the Mustang appeared to clip another vehicle and still kept going. The driver ultimately exited the Harbor (110) Freeway at Adams Boulevard and drove to the area of Central Avenue and 51st Street in South Los Angeles, where the driver stopped and got out of the Mustang and the passenger stood up inside the car, calmly awaiting the arrival of authorities who arrested them. Pentagon officials said Reynolds served with the 1st Marine Logistics Group at Camp Pendleton as a motor vehicle operator but was discharged in January, with authorities saying “the character of his service was incongruent with the Marine Corps’ expectations and standards.” If convicted as charged in the April 7th incident, Reynolds and Young

face a maximum possible sentence of six years and eight months in prison, according to the District Attorney’s Office.