Skip to content

Count down to your summer body


This week’s Ultimate Transformation Moment focuses on 21 Days to Ultimate Health and Wellness.

With less than a week left before the first day of summer, right now is a great time to fine-tune that summer body that you want to have. Take the next 21 days to really make sure you are in alignment with the body you want.

The key focus here is on nutrition. Fortunately, as the weather gets warmer, we tend to eat lighter foods like fruits, vegetables and salads. We start to move away from the big, heavy meals that we crave during the cold weather months.

Be very conscious of the portion size of your meals. Eat at least five to six meals a day, which is about every two hours. Try to make sure that 80 percent of what you eat all day consists mainly of fruits and vegetables, nuts and whole grains. The other 20 percent of your meal may be fish or lean proteins such as chicken or turkey.

It is also imperative that you drink a great deal of water. Increasing your water intake as the temperature changes works to your advantage. Drinking six to 10 ounces every hour that you are awake will help you drop a few pounds.

Finally, be sure to exercise. Get 45 to 60 minutes of cardio, five out of seven days during your week. Cardio can be obtained through taking a brisk walk, aerobic exercise, or just being active for 45 to 60 minutes. It is not until after the 35th minute of exercise that fat burn begins.

If you can get cardio every day, that would be great. Remember taking in water while doing cardio gives the body an exit for some of those fat cells and calories you burn.

Other forms of exercise include pushups, curls, squats, lunges and abdominal work. Do these exercises to burn out. This means you do three sets of an exercise until you are unable to continue.

For example, get on your knees, do a pushup. If you can do eight pushups and can do no more, then eight pushups is when you burn out. On your ninth pushup you fail. Give yourself 60 seconds to two minutes rest, then do your next set again to burn out or failure.

During your next set, failure might occur at three pushups, but continue for three sets to failure. As you begin to develop conditioning, muscle are forced to change and that will give you a toner look for the summer time.

Pushups are good for your chest and back, while curls and triceps are good for your arms. Squats are good for your legs and your butt and of course ab work is great for the midsection.

This is your formula for having that ultimate summer body.

That’s our Ultimate Transformations Moment. Peace and be more.

Erich Nall is the owner and founder of Ultimate Transformations Training in Los Angeles, Calif. He is also the author of “21 Days to Ultimate Health and Wellness” and is a regular guest on KJLH 102.3 FM’s the “Front Page.”