As spring approaches and the weather warms up outside, Chef Jacoby Ponder will tantalize your taste buds with his Peach Bourbon BBQ Chicken recipe, available in his new “Supper” cookbook set to drop in Fall of 2022. This recipe offers a refreshing blend of both sweet and savory flavors, while maintaining the classic smoky flavor of fresh-off-the-grill barbecue.
This dish is perfect for home entertaining – barbecue with family and friends, a quiet night in with the family, or even backyard cookout. Explore the unique and daring flavors with this recipe!
Here is Chef Jacoby Ponder’s Peach Bourbon BBQ Chicken recipe to whet your appetite.
- 2 Sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Emblem Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Fresh Grilled peaches (about 3 large peaches, peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Cracked pepper
- 4 Whole Wings
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium-high heat. Add 2 sticks of butter, Olive Oil, Onion, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add the ketchup, bourbon, apple cider vinegar, puréed peaches, honey, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Preheat an indoor grill to medium-high heat slice Peaches into wedges cover w/ Olive Oil and a Pinch of Brown Sugar place on grill for about 5 mins each side remove from grill and set about 4 pc aside for garnish
- Take remainder Peaches place in blend and blend into a puree and add to sauce while simmering
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn. If it starts really boiling, reduce to medium-low.
- For the chicken, Season the chicken with salt and pepper, Garlic salt, cumin, Onion powder, coat with Emblems Smokey Mesquite Oil and grill for 3 minutes per side. Baste liberally with the BBQ sauce, and grill for another 3 minutes per side. Keep basting with desired amount of sauce and grill until chicken is cooked through.
The Peach BBQ Chicken can be paired with macaroni and cheese, as well as Chef Jacoby’s recipe for Southern Style Black-Eyed Peas. Here are the ingredients at a glance.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas (4 cups cooked)
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 smoked turkey wing
- 1 sprig of cilantro
- Rinse and pick through the black-eyed peas. Soak overnight.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Cook smoked turkey wings until tender 30 to 45 minutes.
- Drain soaked beans and add to the pot with turkey stock while the beans are cooking.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium – high heat.
- Add cumin powder and fry. Stir for five to 10 seconds or until the seasoning blooms.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the yellow onion.
- Fry until transparent then add garlic and ginger. Fry until soft.
- Add spice powders and fry
- Stir for a minute or until aroma is releases
- Add canned tomato (reserve juice) and raise heat to medium – high.
- Simmer and stir occasionally. Crush the tomatoes with the back of your fork until you get a thick sauce.
- Add coconut milk and salt to taste.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes or until the sauce reaches the consistency you like.
- Add black-eyed peas
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro sprinkled on top saffron rice.
Jacoby “J” Ponder is an award-winning celebrity private chef, food entrepreneur, and Navy veteran. He is the founder of FireSyde Chef & Co. and Chef Ponder & Co., which employs a talented team of chefs from Hampton Roads, Virginia and Atlanta.