Skip to content

Bullied Black teen falsely accused, wrongfully detained for 11 days

woman holding a paper in front of a laptop
Photo by Yan Krukov on

A Black Florida teenager who says she was bullied for months by classmates was falsely accused of threatening her school and then wrongly detained at a juvenile detention facility for 11 days, according to her family and attorney, reports NBC News.

Now the 13-year-old’s mother, Lezlie-Ann Davis, is suing Renaissance Charter School at Pines over the November incident.

“I feel distanced,” the teen, Nia Whims, said at a news conference. “I really don’t want to talk to anybody.”

The lawsuit, obtained by NBC News, alleges that the girl was being bullied at the school in Pembroke Pines, about 20 miles north of Miami. Davis reported the alleged bullying in August and had requested a meeting with school officials, the suit states. The meeting never happened, according to the complaint, and the school did not address the family’s concerns. The bullying continued until Davis made the decision to pull Whims from the school and enroll her somewhere else, the suit says.

In November, Whims began talking with a Renaissance Charter School student on Instagram about the bullying. The suit identifies the second teen as M.S. After the conversation, M.S. allegedly created a fake Instagram page using Whims’ name, the lawsuit states. While pretending to be Whims, M.S. allegedly sent herself messages that “included threats to blow up the school and kill people,” including M.S. and a teacher, according to the lawsuit.

The messages were disclosed to the teacher, who informed school officials and the police. The charter school was placed on limited lockdown but later determined to be safe, according to the complaint.

Pembroke Pines police began investigating what led to the lockdown and were allegedly told by M.S. that Whims had sent messages threatening the school, the lawsuit says.

Officers allegedly interrogated Whims, who said she had talked with M.S. over Instagram but did not make any threats. On Nov. 19, Whims was arrested and taken to a juvenile detention center, according to the lawsuit. Police said in a statement at the time that she was being charged with a second-degree felony for making a written threat to do bodily harm or commit an act of terrorism.

She spent 11 days in the facility and had to undergo a psychological evaluation, according to the lawsuit. She was released on Nov. 29 after investigators determined that the messages came from an IP address connected to M.S.

“Failure to promptly investigate this easily discoverable information by the Pembroke Pines Police Department caused (Nia Whims) to remain in a juvenile detention facility away from her family for eleven days,” the suit states.