LAPD makes two arrests in youth minister’s slaying
Officers still seeking additional suspects
Police confirmed Monday the arrests of two people in connection with the slaying of a 23-year-old youth minister who was gunned down in Venice.
But police did not immediately release any details of the arrests made in the June 4 killing of Oscar Duncan. A $50,000 reward has been offered in the case.
Duncan, who grew up in Venice, was a youth minister with the Boys and Girls Club of Venice and also worked with Takeover Youth Ministry in Inglewood.
He was in front of a residence when a white, older-model car with several male occupants pulled up in the 600 block of Santa Clara Avenue about 10:30 p.m.
“There was an exchange of words and one shot was fired, striking the victim,” said LAPD Lt. Marco Munoz of the Pacific Station.
Police had said they were seeking as many as four suspects who were in the Honda sedan. The victim was not a gang member, but the suspects may have been gang members, police said.
Duncan had posted a Bible quote from Deuteronomy on Twitter minutes before he was shot.
A reputed gang member suspected of fatally shooting a Compton youth minister in Venice last June has been charged with his murder, along with a third accomplice, the district attorney’s office announced.
Deputy District Attorney Teresa Magno with the Hardcore Gang Division said Hopeton Parsley, 23, was charged last week with being the shooter in the murder of Oscar Duncan on June 4, 2012. He was formally charged Friday, Jan. 4, and pled not guilty.
LOS ANGELES, Calif.—A reputed gang member accused of gunning down a Compton youth minister in Venice was scheduled to be arraigned today.
Hopeton Parsley, 23, was charged Wednesday with the June 4 killing of Oscar Duncan, 23, according to the District Attorney’s Office. Parsley was arrested Thursday, according to prosecutors.